Modifying a Child Support Arrangement

Modifying a Child Support Arrangement

Modifying a Child Support ArrangementThe experienced Pensacola family law attorneys at McKenzie Law Firm, P.A. can help you with modifying a child support arrangement. Sometimes, post-divorce, you may go through a substantial change of circumstances that could leave you unable to meet your child support obligations. Contact our office today.

Modifying a Child Support Arrangement | How It Works

Child support can be modified, but only if there has been a substantial change of circumstances since the entry of the last order addressing child-support. The Court can award an increase or decrease in a child-support modification case, depending on the circumstances of the case. For example, child support may be modified if there has been a change in the child’s daycare expenses, change in income of either parent, or change in health-insurance costs. The judge will use the child support guidelines chart in Florida Statute § 61.13 to arrive at the new amount of child support.

Modifying a Child Support Arrangement | First Steps

The first step to modifying an order is to file a Supplemental Petition for Modification. This must be accomplished by filing the Petition with the Clerk of Courts and then having it served on the opposing party. Modification proceedings are similar to original divorce proceedings and require compliance with mandatory disclosure rules and other discovery rules. Modification proceedings are retroactive to the date when the Petition was filed, but the judge cannot change an award of alimony or child-support going back prior to the date of filing. If any of these circumstances apply to your situation, please contact us at McKenzie Law Firm to schedule a consultation.

Modifying a Child Support Arrangement | Changing a Parenting Plan

Parenting Plans and time-sharing agreements can also be modified by the Court. The parenting plan can be changed when both parents agree. This is the easiest and most cost-efficient way of changing a parenting plan. But in some cases, the parents cannot agree concerning changes of the parenting plan. If this happens, the court must decide.

If you want skilled and dedicated representation for your family law matter, please call our office today. Our Pensacola family law attorneys will help you through this difficult time.

Follow us on Facebook